Detention Deputy I - Harvey County
Minimum starting rate: $19.99/hour
Employment type: Full-time
Under the supervision of the sheriff, the detention deputy captain and/or the deputy lieutenant, the Detention Deputy I position performs duties relating to the detention and incarceration of alleged criminal violators and convicted criminals. The main responsibilities of this position include processing individuals in and out of the Detention Center, maintaining order and security, and maintaining the proper care and well-being of those incarcerated. Employee may be required to exercise initiative and discretion when faced with emergency conditions. Supervise visitations, and provides for a safe environment in the Detention Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Process criminal violators in and out of the detention facility
- Maintains security in all areas of the detention facility
- Maintains the incarceration of criminal violators in a safe and constitutional method following established rules and regulations set by the department, state, and the courts
- Investigates suspicious conditions in the detention facility
- Maintains documentation of health care needs and administers medication to incarcerated individuals as directed by health care providers
- Transports incarcerated individuals to and from court hearings, health care facilities, or other locations as ordered by the court or authorized
- Completes all necessary official forms and reports as required in a timely manner
- Maintains proper care and well-being of incarcerated individuals
- Appears and testifies in court proceedings.
- Be a United States citizen
- Be at least 18 years of age
- High school education or G.E.D.
- Possess a valid Kansas driver's license
- No previous or current charges of driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Be a resident of Kansas, or become a resident within 90 days of employment
- Never been convicted of a felony, or a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude
- Be free of misdemeanor convictions for the last 12 months
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity by successfully completing pre-employment polygraph and drug test.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Use of force certification
Applications are available in the Administration Office of the Harvey County Courthouse, 800 N. Main St., Newton, KS, or you can apply online on this job posting.
Vacancy open until filled. EOE.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws. Please find more information under the following links: