Planning & Zoning Administrator - City of Andover
This position deals directly with the public, developers, contractors, other government agencies, and City staff. The employee must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of general community development practices and principles to assist the Director of Community Development, including but not limited to: long-range planning, zoning regulations, subdivision regulations, site plan review standards and floodplain regulations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF WORK
• Assists Director of Community Development with the operation of the Community Development Department, including but not limited to: long-range planning, zoning, subdivision and site plan review
• Administers the City’s planning and zoning activities and compliance on a daily and long-term basis, including the zoning ordinance, subdivision ordinance, floodplain ordinance, and other land use regulations.
• Provides Staff support to various boards, committee and commissions, including but not limited to: City Council, Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and Site Plan Review Committee, including the preparation of agendas for meetings and maintenance of records
• Leads the review and issuance of zoning permits, as well as applications for subdivision, site plan review, and floodplain processes
• Performs regular analysis and research and provides written and oral interpretations of the Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Regulations, Subdivision Regulations, Floodplain Regulations and Site Plan Review Standards for Boards & Committees and the general public
• Leads the review, amendment, adoption and enforcement of the Zoning and Subdivision Regulations, Site Plan Review Standards, Comprehensive Plan, and other related community planning activities
• Implements recommendations from the Comprehensive Plan and other long-range planning studies
• Initiates appropriate legal action on the basis of finding of violations of the zoning regulations and assists the City Prosecuting Attorney in abatement of violations
• Reviews sites for compliance and provides written record of zoning and site plan related activities
• Supervises the Planning Technician including training and delegation of responsibilities.
• Makes employment related decisions involving the hiring, discipline, and status changes including performance reviews of subordinate employee
• Assists with the City’s economic development efforts
• Performs other duties as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Knowledge of physical design, the way in which cities function and the principles and practices of urban planning
• Knowledge of the legal foundation for land use and subdivision regulations
• Knowledge of economic development principles and concepts
• Knowledge of the use of graphic information systems (GIS) in planning and zoning applications
• Ability to analyze and systematically compile technical and statistical information, and to prepare technical reports.
• Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions and approaches to problems
• Skill in firm yet courteous and tactful communications in customer service
• Ability to solve problems using a balance of technical competence, creativity and research
• Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Urban Design, Public Administration, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience required
• Two years’ progressive experience in urban planning, public administration, or related field, preferred
• American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification, preferred
• The ability to express or exchange ideas visually, verbally or in writing. Must be able to drive, and physically examine work sites. Periodically involves physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, or push objects (50 lb. or less), and bending, stooping and reaching.
Pay for this position ranges from $57,200 - $66,560