Registered Nurse - Finney County
Job Purpose and Objectives:
This position is responsible to promote public health through nursing services to provide disease prevention services and education, testing and immunization activities. The position is under the general supervision of the Charge Nurse.
1. Provide public health services, treatment and counseling in accordance with approved health protocols and department operating procedures.
2. Administer immunizations and medications properly and safely and in accordance with proper procedures at both on-site and off-site locations.
3. Order and record medications received, follow standing order per protocol.
4. Complete testing and screening procedures and obtain lab specimens.
5. Complete tuberculosis screening, monitoring, and medication procedures and follow up as needed.
6. Counsel clients and patients on good personal and public health care practice and procedures.
7. Maintain accurate and legible files, charts and records related to health services provided.
8. Perform health assessments as directed by State and Federal protocols and make referrals to physicians or other health care professionals as dictated.
9. Coordinate and present Public Health programs to community agencies, groups or schools as necessary.
10. Attend workshops or seminars to increase knowledge and maintain nursing licensure.
11. Participate in staff meetings.
12. Work well with others and conduct oneself in a professional manner.
13. Cross train to work in all programs within the department.
14. Provide offsite clinics as determined by community needs and Public Health matters.
15. Provide accurate, complete, timely information for quarterly reports.
16. Respond to change productively and complete other tasks as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Associate's degree of Nursing and two to three years nursing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education amd Experience:
Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; or four to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Qualifications and Requirements: Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Valid driver’s license.
Kansas license as Registered Nurse.
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, with good grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
Ability to conduct oral presentations for educational and promotional purposes.
Ability to develop programs through assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with agency staff, medical providers and other community partners.
Ability to function in unstructured setting in a self-directed manner.
Ability to maintain accurate records of services provided.
Ability to make decisions independently and use tact and good judgment in dealing with staff and the public.
Ability to plan, assign and direct the work of others.
Ability to provide nursing services in a clinic setting.
Demonstration of good organization, communication, and leadership skills.
Knowledge of health record-keeping procedures.
Knowledge of perinatal health issues, infant and child growth and development, parenting skills, childhood illnesses and injuries.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Email and Internet use.
Thorough knowledge of the methods, principles, techniques and practices of public health nursing, and knowledge of public health nursing skills and practices in clinic program areas.
· Customer Service
Mental and Physical Demands:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; sit, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee may on rare occasion lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Stressful situations may occur when dealing with the public. This position is regularly exposed to highly contagious and communicable diseases and viruses. This position involves in an inside office environment and clinic environments.
ACCESS TO PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
This position shall have access to electronic and paper files containing protected health information of patients that are assessed, evaluated or cared for by Finney County Health Department. A confidentiality agreement shall be signed by the employee as it relates to any information, regardless of the manner in which is communicated or maintained.