Maintenance Worker III - Harvey County
Minimum starting rate: $15.81/HR
Full time position. Responsible for the manual, semi-skilled and skilled tasks necessary to perform road and bridge maintenance, road construction, and equipment operation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Operate graders, dozers, backhoe, rollers, tractors and other heavy equipment.
• Work on patching, grading, sealing, repair and maintenance of roads, paints roads, and repair, maintain and install bridges.
• Remove snow and ice, repair signs and work in welding shop.
• Maintain County roads in a safe and efficient manner.
• Care for and oversee safe operation of heavy equipment.
• Operate machines to spread, smooth, level, or steel-reinforce stone, concrete, or asphalt on roadbeds.
• Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
• Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate screed temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
• Operate tamping machines or manually roll surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
• Fill tanks, hoppers, or machines with paving materials.
• Set up and tear down equipment.
• Clean or prepare sites to eliminate possible hazards.
• Control traffic passing near, in, or around work zones.
• Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials.
• Dig ditches or trenches, backfill excavations, or compact and level earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, or rakes.
• Load, or unload materials, machinery, or tools, distributing them to the appropriate locations, according to directions.
• Erect or dismantle shoring, braces, traffic barricades, ramps, or other temporary structures.
• Position or dismantle forms for pouring concrete, using saws, hammers, nails, or bolts.
• Requests needed materials.
• Inspection of road and bridge projects by contractors to ensure standards are met.
• Location of public utilities in the public right of way using appropriate equipment to track data.
• Prepare time and work reports.
• Assist crew in performing more difficult tasks.
• Inspect, clean, repair and maintain equipment including light maintenance and servicing equipment.
• Clear ditches and culverts.
• Mow right of way.
• Work to improve customer service.
• Work with other departments to ensure efficient and effective service delivery.
Required Education: High School diploma or GED equivalent.
Must be able to pass a physical assessment and drug test. Requires a Class A CDL.