Administrative Assistant (City Clerk) - City of Liberal
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT – CITY HALL
This position will provide staff support to the City Clerk and City Manager. The employee plans and organizes the workflow utilizing departmental rules, regulations, and procedures. With direction from the City Clerk this position will coordinate assigned program activities and operations within the City Clerk's Office; coordinate assigned activities with other divisions, outside agencies, and the general public.
- Reviews documents for completeness and accuracy
- Composes and responds to a variety of correspondence
- Keeps detailed and accurate records
- Responds to complaints or requests for service in person, by telephone, and in writing in accordance with established departmental policies and regulations
- Monitors and compares data to determine compliance with prescribed operating standards
- Complete Open Records Requests
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Assist the City Clerk in the compilation of the Council Meeting agendas & review staff reports submitted by City departments to ensure compliance and suggest revisions
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of agenda packets.
- Attend regular and special City Council Meeting as necessary and conduct follow-up actions as necessary
- Coordinate assigned services and activities of the City Clerk's Office with those of other divisions and outside agencies and organizations.
- Certify ordinances, resolutions, agreements, and official documents; administer affirmations in the absence of the City Clerk; witness and make acknowledgements of official documents.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- modern and complex principles and practices of office management
- principles and procedures of record keeping
- computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and statistical databases
- pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations including the Public Records Act
- Communicate orally with customers, clients, and the public using a telephone, in a face-to-face, one-to-one setting, and in a group setting.
- Produce written documents with accuracy
- Work under pressure (i.e., handling significant problems and tasks which come up simultaneously and/or unexpectedly and approaching deadlines).
- Operate office equipment
- Establish priorities for own workload based upon such factors as need for immediate action, work objectives and schedules.
- Exercise independent initiative and judgment.
- Work cooperatively with other departments, elected officials, and outside agencies
- Learn job-related material primarily through oral instruction and observation to effectively perform job duties. This learning takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting.
- Be able to attend commission meetings when required
- Be a very organized
- Ability to coordinate and direct assigned programs and operations of the City Clerk's Office
- Understand the organization and operation of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities
- Understand, interpret, and apply general and specific administrative and departmental policies and procedures as well as applicable federal, state, and local laws
A Valid Driver's License
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
2-3 years of increasingly responsible administrative experience, preferably in a City Clerk's Office. A Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, or a related field. An equivalent combination of experience and education sufficient to perform the essential job functions and provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.