School Resource Officer - City of Liberal
School Resource Officer
To foster more positive relationships between the police and youth and to increase student knowledge of law enforcement, the judicial and courts systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Abide by the policies, rules and regulations of the school division;
• Provide law enforcement for City of Liberal;
• Be a representative of the City;
• Perform all duties and responsibilities of a field deputy;
• Protect lives and property for the citizens and public school students;
• Enforce Federal, State, and Local criminal laws and ordinances;
• Assist school officials with Administrative regulations regarding student conduct;
• Investigate criminal activity committed on or adjacent to school property;
• Be a law related educator;
• Attends in-service training to improve skills and knowledge of job expertise;
Be a community liaison and role model;
• Counsel public school students in special situations;
• Answer questions students might have about State of Kansas and Juvenile law;
• Assist other law enforcement officer's investigations concerning students;
• Provide security for special school events or functions;
• Provide traffic control during the arrival and departure of students as needed;
• Prevent juvenile delinquency through close contact with students/school personnel;
• Establish liaison with school principals, faculty, and staff;
• Inform students of their rights and responsibilities as lawful citizens;
• Be a resource to the principal in investigating criminal law violations at school;
• Assist administration and faculty in formulating criminal justice programs;
• Formulate crime prevention programs;
• Coordinate all law enforcement response/service at their school;
• Prevent duplication of effort and provide coordination of law related services;
• Ensure the investigation and enforcement of criminal law violations;
• Provide necessary follow-up investigation as required;
• Remain abreast of investigations involving students at their school;
• Be aware of demographics and distinctive characteristics of the student body; School Resource Office
• Provide visible deterrence to crime;
• Present a positive impression of a uniformed law enforcement officer at the school;
• Performs duties away from assigned school as agreed upon by the school principal and/or law enforcement officials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local codes used in pursuing and convicting perpetrators in the appropriate court.
• Knowledge of administrative and operational policies and procedures.
• Knowledge and skill of laws of arrest, probable cause and search and seizure issues used in the enforcement of laws and in the school setting.
• Knowledge of law enforcement operations, duties, and responsibilities.
• Knowledge of roads and addresses of the county.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: High School Graduation or GED and Resource Officer training required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance, reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable problem solving and age specific situations required. Being appropriately safe.