Utilitiy Billing Clerk - City of Park City
Park City, KS – An innovative city positioned for growth, with an inclusive hometown feel and a safe and superior quality of life is seeking a highly professional, self-motivated, detail-oriented candidate to fill the position of Utility Billing Clerk.
Under the supervision of the Finance Director, the Utility Billing Clerk is responsible for the utility billing process, customer account maintenance, and for processing and maintining accounts receivable for water, sewer, trash and stormwater utilities. This position also provides backup support to the Utility Cashier/Receptionist. The successful candidate must be detail-oriented, function with a high degree of accuracy and professionalism, and possess strong accounting and analytical skills, as well as effective public relations, communication, and organizational skills.
Experience: Two years of similar or related experience is required. College training may be substitued for some of the experience.
Education: A high school diploma or GED is required. Relevant college or technical training may be substituted for some experience.
The Utility Senior Accountant Position offers a rewarding career with a competitive salary, pay range of $15.81 – $22.98 per hour, and an excellent benefits package, to include:
o Health insurance where the City pays 100% of the premium
o City funded Health Reimbursement Account to offset insurance deductible, coinsurance, and copays
o Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Account, LegalShield, AFLAC, 3-1 Supplemental, Short-term Disability, Life Insurance
o KPERS Retirement and KPERS 457 Deferred Compensation
o Vacation, Sick Leave and 11 paid Holidays
o Training Opportunities and College Tuition Reimbursement
o On-site fitness facility
o Wellness Initiatives that include discounted membership to YMCA or area fitness clubs
o Employee Assistance Program to provide counseling and education to employees and their families.
Testing will be required for this position. Must be able to pass a background check and pre-employment drug screen.
Full Job Description_________________________________________________
UTILITY BILLING CLERK
City of Park City Finance Department
Under the supervision of the Finance Director, the Utility Billing Clerk is a non-exempt position under FLSA. This position is responsible for the utility billing process, customer account maintenance, processing and maintaining accounts receivable for Water, Sewer, Trash, and Stormwater utilities. This position also provides backup support to the Utility Cashier/Receptionist. This employee must be detail-oriented, function with a high degree of accuracy and professionalism, and possess strong accounting and analytical skills, as well as effective public relations, communication, and organizational skills.
· Generates monthly utility billings assuring for accuracy and timeliness.
· Loads meter readings into the utility billing system.
· Reviews meter readings, and requests rereads as needed to assure accurate billings.
· Computes and enters adjustments to customer accounts.
· Generates and maintains service orders and records.
· Generates disconnect notices and prepares list for shut off and follow up.
· Applies deposit interest and processes deposit refunds pursuant to policy.
· Applies penalties to past due accounts.
· Runs daily, monthly, and annual reports.
· Reviews and implements annual sewer averaging, assuring for accuracy.
· Annually implements charges for excessive use of water.
· Enters all utility billing rate changes.
· Prepares customer contracts for payment extension.
· Responds to customer inquiries relating to billing, water leaks, etc.
· Manually prepares bulk water billings.
· Annually writes off unpaid utility account balances on finalized accounts in which no payment has been received in the current year.
· Provides information on unpaid final bills to Utility Cashier/Receptionist in order that reminders are sent to citizens and any unpaid balances are subsequently submitted to the Kansas Setoff Program for collection.
· Applies returned checks and related fees to utility accounts and sends letters to advise customers.
· Applies ACH and on-line credit card payments to customer accounts.
· Provides backup assistance for all functions of the Utility Cashier/Receptionist position, including but not limited to, greeting customers in a friendly and professional manner, receiving utility payments and accurately entering them into the cash receipts system, receiving applications for new utility service, setting up new accounts in the computer, making arrangements for extensions of past due accounts, answering the phone and directing calls, issuing permits and licenses.
· Cross trains and serves as backup for other positions in the Administration Department upon request.
· Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
· Follows department policies and procedures.
· Prepares list of debts to be certified to the County annually by the City Clerk for assessment to properties.
· Documents all processes and procedures of the position, continually updating to reflect current practices.
UTILITY BILLING CLERK
Experience: Two years of similar or related experience is required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within six months of employment.
Education: A high school diploma or GED is required. College or training may be substituted for some of the experience.
Technical Skills: A working knowledge of accounting procedures and principles, mathematics, computers, word processing, and spreadsheets is required. This employee must be able to efficiently operate computers, printers, telephone systems, copiers, and other office equipment. The ability to type and perform 10-key with speed and accuracy, interpret data, follow department policies and procedures, and read and interpret written instructions, financial data, reports, and other official documents is required. This employee must be highly accurate, detail-oriented, and possess strong accounting, organizational, public relations, and oral and written communication skills.
Problem Solving: Problem solving is a factor in this position. This employee encounters problems with errors in posting, citizen concerns and complaints, delinquent accounts, and computer problems. Serious problems are reported to the Finance Director.
Decision Making: Some decision making is involved in this position. This employee makes decisions about approving extension requests on delinquent accounts, prioritizing daily work assignments, requesting rereads on accounts, resolving citizen complaints, and performing daily duties in the most efficient manner.
Supervision: This position is subject to supervision from the Finance Director. Does not have supervisory responsibilities over subordinate personnel.
Financial Accountability: This employee is responsible for department equipment and resources but does not participate in the annual budget process.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, coworkers, and supervisory personnel, and occasional contact with the organization's governing body is expected.
Working Conditions: No adverse working conditions exist within this position. Working in an office setting with a computer is the primary aspect of this position.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity associated with working in an office setting is required to perform the daily duties of this position.