Registered Nurse I II III- Home Health - Sumner County
Registered Nurse I II III- Home Health
Part Time or Full Time Available
Pay Level 9, 10,11
$16.29-$32.41 per hour
Sumner County offers KPERS, Group Life Insurance, Single Health Insurance paid, Dental and Vision available for minimal employee contribution, Paid Holidays, Sick and Vacation Leave Accrual
Registered Nurse 1- Home Health
Sumner County Health Department/Home Health Agency
Pay Level 9 – Non-exempt
Under the supervision of the Home Health Supervisor-Clinical Manager, the Home Health RN provides comprehensive nursing care to clients in their homes to achieve optimum health and quality of life in situations of chronic disease, acute illness or injury. Through competent applications of the nursing process and use of accepted best nursing practices the RN provides nursing care based on agency policies and procedures; and state and federal mandates for a Medicare-certified Home Health Agency. Some On-call hours required. The employee in the position must have valid KS Driver’s license and reliable transportation.
· Performs full patient assessment including OASIS on admission, after hospitalization, 60-day re-certification, and upon patient change of condition. Ensures patients meet home health eligibility and medical necessity guidelines as defined by payer source.
· Initiates, develops, implements and makes necessary revisions to the Plan of Care in collaboration with the physician and other health care professional involved in the care.
· Coordinates total patient care to fit the patients’ needs; maintains continuity of patient care by acting as liaison with other health care professionals assigned to the same patients.
· Performs competently all skills required for the agency inducing but not limited to venipunctures, infusion therapy, infusion therapy devices, wound care, wound vacs and aseptic technique;
· Observes signs and symptoms and reports changes in the patient’s conditions to the physician and/or other appropriate health professionals as often as needed.
· Teaches, supervises and counsels patients and family regarding home health nursing procedures and other care needs as appropriate to the patient’s conditions. Utilizes educational materials as appropriate.
· Cooperates with discharge planners of other institutions to provide continuity of patient care;
· Completes and submits all documentation by required deadlines;
· Performs chart audits as needed;
· Assists in the planning, preparation and response to all-hazards/emergency events;
· Abides by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) including a confidentiality agreement;
· Uses or discloses no more than the minimum amount of Protected Health Information (PHI) necessary and reasonable in the performance of job duties as defined by HIPAA, state law and\or departmental policy, whichever is stricter and will have access to the following PHI: Patent\Client demographic information, scheduling information, billing information, DX/Procedural information and Reports/Medical Reports.
· Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned;
· Provides clinical experiences for student nurses;
· Attends meetings and training seminars\classes as required by the Director;
· May be required to cross train in other suitable county departments;
· Identify Incident Command structure and role during an emergency:;
· Performs assessments during a mass pharmaceutical distribution event and other duties deemed necessary by the supervisor, in reference to ICS.
Registered Nurse I – Home Health
Experience: One year of experience in general medical-surgical nursing area preferred. Prior home care experience preferred but not required.
Education/Licensure: Graduation from accredited/approved nursing program as indicated by transcript or diploma. Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Kansas. Valid Kansas driver’s license required.
Technical Skills: Knowledge of health care standards and techniques. Proficiency in providing and performing direct nursing care functions. Proficiently and safely operate standard health care tools and equipment. Ability to deal tactfully with the patients, families and caregivers; and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing. Strong computer skills; prior experience with electronic medical records preferred. Ability to travel to cases as assigned. Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
Problem Solving: Strong critical-thinking skill required. Frequent problem solving exists in relation to the daily performance of patient care duties.
Decision-Making: Moderate to extensive decision making responsibilities in the evaluation, developing and implementing of patient care plans. Typical decisions making situations involve determining the proper patient nursing care based on recognized care standards.
Supervision: Work performance reviewed by Home Health Supervisor –Clinical Manager and\or Director. Employee may occasionally have supervisory responsibilities over clerical staff, home health aides and homemakers.
Financial Accountability: Employee is responsible for the proper handling of any funds and\or valuables encountered during the performance of their work. Employee is not responsible for budgetary control of department and does not participate in the annual departmental budgetary process.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the patients, families and caregivers. Frequent contact with other healthcare professionals.
Working Conditions: Adverse working conditions exist relating to home health care. Hazardous and strenuous situations may arise in the performance of health care duties including exposure to infectious disease. Adverse weather conditions may be encountered when making patient home visits.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to perform the strenuous activities that may be required in the performance of health care duties. Between 20% - 30% of the time requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry or push heavy objects or persons of up to 50 lbs. independently and over 50 lbs. with assistance.
The specific statements in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
This job description last updated April 2019.