Parks (Seasonal) - City of Liberal
PARKS MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN-SEASONAL
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The fundamental reason this classification exists is to perform seasonal work of a manual nature, which does not require a high degree of manipulative skill or an acquired skill or previous experience in order to do an effective job. Work is generally performed under the immediate direction of a supervisor, but many types of work assigned may be very routine and repetitive in nature and after once learned can be carried on without difficulty and only under general supervision.
- Operates a small truck to pick up items for delivery other City facilities;
- Unloads truck and stocks items in storeroom;
- Learn the operation of motorized equipment such as push and riding mowers, string trimmers, edgers and hedge shears, tractors, and brush-hog mowers.
- Operates and performs maintenance on power lawn mowers such as changing oil, and parts lubrication and adjustment;
- Cleans litter from areas under the direction of a supervisor;
- Visually inspects vehicles for mechanical defects and reports finding to appropriate personnel;
- Learn cleaning, maintenance, and gardening methods, materials and equipment.
- Learn proper use of hand tools such as hammers, wrenches, picks, shovels, spades, rakes, loppers, saws or similar tools.
- Learn irrigation techniques using sprinklers, hoses and flooding methods.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate orally with co-workers and the general public in a one-to-one setting.
- Learn job-related material primarily through oral instruction and observation, which takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting.
- Use mops, brooms, paintbrushes and rollers and work with cleaning fluids, chemicals, pesticides, insecticides, paints, cleaning agents or similar solutions using only normal protective equipment.
- Work cooperatively with other City employees and the general public.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Learn job-related material primarily through oral instruction and observation. This learning takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting.
- Some positions will require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending upon work location, assignment or shift.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
There is no experience or training requirement for this entry-level position.